Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Doors

It's undoubtedly spring now, and apparently spring is the season of revelations. As the world wakes and opens, so do we, ready after a season of protective bunkering to consider what it means to be a person in a world, shocked by the newness of green into new ways of seeing, reminded by all of the people stumbling around in the sun of things we've said or promises we've made. Pluvialis at fretmarks wrote a beautiful post about such things yesterday.

And so it is only appropriate that, as I was running errands on Saturday, I had the following revelation: This is the life I wanted.

It's actually true. As a much smaller person, I remember watching movies about women with jobs and lives and space to be themselves, and I wanted it badly. I lusted after a life that would belong to me in that way. I wanted a life in which I got up and read the paper. I wanted a life in which I had my own apartment and looked around in the evenings and liked the things on the walls and the books on the shelves. (I knew there would be lots of books.) I wanted a life in which I had friends I adored with whom to have long dinners or meet for drinks or laugh on a sunny afternoon. I wanted meaningful work I was good at, though I never, in my wildest dreams, thought it might be this work. I wanted to be 30. The dog is a complete surprise, but you pick up some things you didn't know you'd need along the way. This is the life that I wanted.

What I didn't know, what no-one ever told me, was that when I got the life I wanted, I'd also be wanting something else. No-one ever explained that, actually, I'd have to. The room that holds my life now has to have windows and doors and ways to move through. Otherwise, it's not a life, but a prison. But this room that is my life also came with a hidden trap door that I haven't watched for: In order to be happy, I have to be constantly imagining my life as something different, something better than it is now. I have to be working towards something that builds on the thing I have to make it stronger, make me stronger, make the potential of the life that I wanted real. And while imagining that, it's far too easy to fall in and assume that if I'm imagining something else in my life, the life I have isn't the life I want. It isn't good enough or exciting enough or fulfilling enough. The things I want now that are missing loom as evidence that I've done something wrong. The things that I have that aren't enough are proof that I was wrong to want them all along, instead of cherishing them for the stepping stones that they are.

Trapdoors lead to dark places. They lead to places where I'm claustrophobic and want out. Down in the dark, I can't see the room I live in now. But it's the room I hoped for. It's the life I wanted. I'm living it everyday. I'm using it to move towards something I want, too. That's what makes it a good life. I should hold it more gently. I should revel in it while I have it. Because I won't forever. I don't want it forever. One day I'll open one of those doors and walk through. I'll climb though a window and fall into a bush. And so, somehow, I have to find the balance towards knowing that I want my life to change and loving the life I always wanted.



The lovely photo above is attributed to someone known as Balu62.

35 Comments:

Blogger you said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 中国公文网 工作总结 个人工作总结 班主任工作总结 年终工作总结 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述廉报告 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 评估报告 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习心得 工作心得 培训心得 读后感 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 比赛演讲 征文演讲 节日演讲 演讲技巧 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 销售方案 培训方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 模板范例 技巧经验 工作计划 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 通知 毕业论文 合同

1:22 AM  
Blogger O'Donovan said...

Ahem. May? Since MAY?

5:48 PM  
Blogger 單存 said...

向小善致敬,它使人生旅程較為平順。........................................

2:49 AM  
Blogger 微笑每一天 said...

thanks................................................

3:57 PM  
Blogger pass said...

尋夢元聊天性愛性交性愛線上性愛線上看女優性愛免費av片上看免費av片線上觀看免做愛影片免看色情片免妹影片西洋成人色片西洋辣妹做愛西洋影片網西洋線上影片免下載a片線上看免下載成人片免下載做愛影片免下載情色影片免下載無碼短片免卡通影片免免費成人影片免妹成人影片免妹視訊免費av成人情色電影免費av成人電影免費a片長片下載免費a片馬上看免費a片動漫下載免費a片照片免費A片線上小魔女自拍小魔女自拍天堂 情色視訊聊天室歐美免費影片

4:32 AM  
Blogger 上宜俊宇芳心 said...

人是受想像力所支配的。......................................................

3:35 AM  
Blogger 明宏明宏 said...

I do like ur article~!!!..................................................

7:24 PM  
Blogger BlancaMcleroy1230 said...

很用心的blog,推推哦 ........................................

2:41 AM  
Blogger 志義 said...

沈舟側畔千帆過,病樹前頭萬木春......................................................

3:14 AM  
Blogger RonnyLitchfie6521 said...

I do like ur article~!!!..................................................

2:31 AM  
Blogger  said...

enjoy your artical, thank you .............................................

1:19 AM  
Blogger ShilaS_群平 said...

人生之中,比冒險更危險的一件事:不去冒險。 ....................................................

7:07 PM  
Blogger 呈均 said...

財富並非永遠的朋友,但朋友卻是永遠的財富。 ............................................................

4:31 AM  
Blogger 俊翔劉 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention.............................................................

8:41 PM  
Blogger 歐英傑 said...

能付出愛心就是福;能消除煩惱就是慧。........................................

4:36 AM  
Blogger 威隆 said...

你不能改變容貌~~但你可以展現笑容..................................................................

11:15 PM  
Blogger 宛齊陳 said...

your artical is so funny!! it make me so happy!! .................................................................

12:24 AM  
Blogger Elvis湘均Kasp湘均 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。.................................................................                           

6:44 PM  
Blogger 恩如 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼.................................................................

12:40 AM  
Blogger 于庭 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

4:35 PM  
Blogger 鄭湘定 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

7:10 PM  
Blogger 佳皓佳皓 said...

人生中最好的禮物就是屬於自己的一部份

5:33 AM  
Blogger 劉耀德劉耀德 said...

不願彎腰撿拾一根針的人,永遠不值得一塊錢。..................................................

7:43 PM  
Blogger 雅俊芬凱陳許 said...

blog有留言互動才好玩~~希望留言能支持您的更新動力!!!............................................................

4:02 AM  
Blogger 方偉白方偉白 said...

堅持是為著某種目的或目標,而持續不斷朝向既定方向努力的一種意念。..................................................

8:04 PM  
Blogger 琬安琬安 said...

感謝分享唷^^~~.........................................

5:02 PM  
Blogger 信豪信豪 said...

要求適合自己的愛情方式,是會得到更多,還是會錯過一個真正愛你的人。.................................................................

6:36 AM  
Blogger 佳陳容 said...

與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

6:12 PM  
Blogger 淑涂涂華 said...

Lets cross the bridge when we come to it............................................................

3:59 PM  
Blogger 小杰 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果......................................................................

2:59 AM  
Blogger 于庭吳 said...

財富並非永遠的朋友,但朋友卻是永遠的財富。......................................................................

7:27 PM  
Blogger 孫邦柔 said...

走召糸及言贊白勺口拉............................................................

2:49 AM  
Blogger 怡靜怡靜怡靜怡雯 said...

No pains, no gains.......................................................................

12:38 PM  
Blogger 涛子 said...

果然是好文章 受益良多 感謝分享 ̄ 3 ̄......................................................

7:44 PM  
Blogger 幸平平平平杰 said...

看到大家都留言-我也忍不住說聲---加油..................................................

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home