Thursday, July 05, 2007

Time Out

I keep wanting to write something about being a graduate student in the summer, but it's not happening because I don't really feel like a graduate student right now, except for in that constant nagging feeling that I should be doing something else. But even that has receded, the tiniest wave at the lowest tide.

When I take Bug to the park in the summer, there's a moment in every trip when I just sit down. I plop down on the grass and lean back on my elbows and watch the swallows swoop and dive. Bug either flops down next to me, hot and panting, or he stands and leans against my shoulder blades and watches the swallows, as well. It's my favorite part of the walk. It's the moment at which I feel most in the world.

I think I may be having a moment like that in my graduate school life. I just sat down. I'm just leaning, watching, waiting, breathing. I'm just here.

I really like it. It's too bad it's really time to get to work.

4 Comments:

Blogger The History Enthusiast said...

I know the feeling! Good luck with your studies!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

I think those moments may be some of the most important to our careers. I'm trying very hard to give myself permission to have them.

1:03 PM  
Blogger wwwmama said...

Oh, don't go to work yet! Enjoy the sitting. Beautiful post.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Acre said...

Thanks, wwwmama (enabler!) and enthusiast!

You're right, Ancrene, that it's important to give ourselves permission to enjoy these moments. Mostly, I am. But I also keep thinking of the timeline. If I want to be on the job market next fall (08), they I should be doing x,y,z now. I'm doing Not X, Not Y, Not Z. But thanks for the reminder that Not X, Not Y, Not Z are important, too.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home